Considering that I am a massive fan of breakfast, you’d think that I would have all sorts of recipes and ideas for what to eat in the morning. But what I’ve realized, is that I mostly just love the ritual of going out to breakfast with people I love — whether it be for a coffee and a scone or for a full plate of french toast. That is where I get most adventurous with my meal choices.
But on the more monotonous moments of my life, where I’m just trying to find enough time to eat and get ready in the morning, my breakfast meals are pretty boring: cereal, toast, etc.
This past weekend however, I had some extra time in the mornings, so I decided to make homemade oatmeal with some of my favorite ingredients: coconut milk, chia seeds, cinnamon, and fresh fruit. It is heart-healthy, full of fiber (leaving you nice and full), and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up.
I made 2 servings and ate one the day I made it, and saved the other serving for the next day or two.
– 1 cup of quick-cooking oats
– 1 cup of water
– 1 cup of vanilla coconut milk
– 2 tbsp. of chia seeds
– 1 tsp. of cinnamon
– 1 banana (half to put into the oatmeal, half for garnish)
– Bring the water and coconut milk to a boil in a small sauce pan.
– Once at a boil, mix in the oats, chia seeds, and cinnamon
– Let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often
– Once the liquid appears to be incorporated, turn off the heat
– Add 1/2 of a banana, and stir well
– Serve up & top with additional banana slices or other fruit of your choice.